It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3 small ideas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:24 pm 

Hey Paul + Jordan

While not bugs, I cannot find a more suitable forum to post this in. Just some small random ideas for improvements to the site:

*When entering (during the upload) an unknown registration of an aircraft/airport, the system could auto-fill the registration/IATA/ICAO code and save me having to type it in twice. It could even fill in the country with the ICAO code, if you really want to get fancy
    *When uploading an image larger than 2MB a proper error message would save me trying to upload the same image 10 times before realising why it doesn't work ;)
    *No need for serious regular expressions, but I would like the '*' when searching for registrations. For example, HB-* for all aircraft registered in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Also, the ability to sort by registration.

As mentioned, nothing more than small random ideas. It's up to you what you want to do with it :)

-Ben

Post subject: Re: 3 small ideas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ben,

I'm sure we can make the upload page remember the details of the previous upload and I'm sure on seeing this Jordan will add it to the 'to-do' list. That's a good suggestion and it's something I've also been thinking about, so we'll try get that done as soon as we can.

There currently isn't a restriction on the maximum size images can be uploaded at as far as I'm aware. Our upload guidelines (which you're asked to familiarise yourself with before uploading), do however clearly ask that uploads are kept to 1MB or less where possible. There's never any need for a file to be larger than 2MB. ;) There should be some kind of alert though, and I believe that's already on the 'to'do list.

The search is only very basic at the moment and is by no means complete and for the moment it was only intended to have basic functionality so we could go live. In time we'll add more to it and your suggestion makes sense. When the time comes we'll look into it further. :)

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm 

Paul wrote:
I'm sure we can make the upload page remember the details of the previous upload and I'm sure on seeing this Jordan will add it to the 'to-do' list. That's a good suggestion and it's something I've also been thinking about, so we'll try get that done as soon as we can.

I'm not sure if you understood me. I meant when I type in HB-AAA, I only have to fill in "airline", "aircraft" and "serial" fields, NOT the "registration" field which would be auto-filled (or rather auto-copied).

Quote:
There currently isn't a restriction on the maximum size images can be uploaded at as far as I'm aware. Our upload guidelines (which you're asked to familiarise yourself with before uploading), do however clearly ask that uploads are kept to 1MB or less where possible. There's never any need for a file to be larger than 2MB. ;) There should be some kind of alert though, and I believe that's already on the 'to'do list.

That is weird. I cannot upload a 2.1MB file, it claims "No Uploaded file."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

biggerben wrote:
I'm not sure if you understood me. I meant when I type in HB-AAA, I only have to fill in "airline", "aircraft" and "serial" fields, NOT the "registration" field which would be auto-filled (or rather auto-copied).

I have to be honest, as nice as perhaps it may be typing a few characters takes seconds and there are a few more important things we need to get in place before even thinking about tiny details like that. Your other suggestions are indeed good ones which would be nice to implement, but we really need to concentrate on large details rather than small ones. We also don't want to try 'over-automate' the system. Manually entered info should really be just that, and for the sake of ease and keeping the system easy to use I feel quite strongly that it's best kept that way. There's such a thing as trying too hard to make it easy and actually achieving the exact opposite! :lol:

Thanks though. :)

Paul