It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tutorial - Dust spot removal. How to create an Action Set.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:41 am 
Screener

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How to create an action set in PS CS3 (and might work in CS4/5 but not tested) to allow for easy dust spot removal.

Create an action set.
To enable correction of multiple spots you can create an action set in CS3. (note. I don't use CS4 or CS5 but this is probably the same method in those versions)

1. In CS3 open an image, any one will do.

2. Press F9 to open the action palette.

3. The menu for the action palette is in the top right of the new window just under the X that closes the palette. The same applies for the Layers palette that we will use shortly.
Select "New Set" and name it. I used "Spots"

4. Select "New Action" and name it. I used "Spots On". It will default to the Spots set. Leave this alone. For function Key select F2 and check the Control box. When you come to use the action you will switch it on by using Ctrl+F2. If you already use this key control set than select another option instead of Control. You can also select a colour for the button relating to this action but I tend not to use it. If you do select a colour it won't make any difference to what we are doing. (Actions can be accessed by opening the Actions palette and selecting the appropriate colour button. I find keyboard commands easier to use)

From now on be careful. You are going to record the various actions and a mistake will ruin the action set. For clarity the following instructions are colour coded to indicate where you need to be to perform the function. Action palette menu are in red, PS CS3 menu are in blue and Layers palette menu are in green.

5. From the action palette menu select "Start Recording". There's no rush, it won't time out.

6. In the PS CS3 menu bar go to "Layer"..."Duplicate current layer" and create a background layer.

7. In the PS CS3 menu bar go to "Image"..."Adjustments"..."Equalise".

8. Press F7 to open the Layers palette. Select the Background Layer by clicking on it.

9. Go to the Actions menu and select "New Action". Name this action "Spots Off". Set the function key to F2 but this time select the "Shift" check box. You will be using Shift+F2 to turn off the action set once you have fixed your spots.

10. Go to the "Layers" palette and select the "Background Copy"...NOT THE BACKGROUND LAYER THAT you previously selected.

11. Still in the Layers palette menu select "delete layer"

12 Go to the "Actions" palette menu and select "Stop Recording"
.....and that's it. You have now created an action set that will be activated by Using Ctrl+F2. It will automatically equalise the image showing all spots, you can work on them without having to switch between equalised and unequalised for each spot and you can even use the selection tool to isolate those irritating little spots that appear on an edge in order to fix them without damaging another part of the image.
Select the heal tool and heal over each spot, alternatively use the clone tool. These days I tend to use the clone tool by preference.

One thing to note. You will be thinking "Sod it, it's not working" because you don't see any difference while working on the spots. The healing or cloning is being done out of sight on the background layer. When you close the action by using Shift+F2 you will see that the spots have been fixed.

I've tested this and it seems to be working fine. Get back here if you have any problems.

Finally, all the credit for this information must go to Jid Webb who first posted this information some time ago.

Last edited by Brianw999 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dust spot removal. How to create an Action Set.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting this Brian! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:48 pm 

Brianw999 wrote:
Action palette menu are in red, PS CS3 menu are in blue and Layers palette menu are in green.

It seems the colours are not working? :D

However, a very useful workfow.
Thank you.

Freek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 pm 
Screener

Freek wrote:
Brianw999 wrote:
Action palette menu are in red, PS CS3 menu are in blue and Layers palette menu are in green.

It seems the colours are not working? :D

However, a very useful workfow.
Thank you.

Freek

Oooops....I didn't check that ! I copied and pasted from elsewhere. Colours now fixed.