It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Rejections
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm 

Paul wrote:

Hi Sreenivas,

The exposure is actually absolutely fine, the overprocessing is the fact there are light and dark halos visible around the aircraft. What steps are you taking when you edit? It's probably something in your workflow making them appear so it should be fairly easy to avoid once identified. :)

Paul

Dear Paul Sir,

Sorry for the late response. Here are following steps that I use while editing my images on RAW plugin.

1.) Correcting the white balance for day shots (depending on the weather conditions) and most of the time for night shots

2.) Increasing the exposure

3.) Tweaking with the contrast and brightness

4.) Depending on images, I make recouvery adjustment in RAW plugin

5.) Then I increase the sharpness to standard 50

6.) I also make changes to the Luminace contrast, Luminace details

7.) After that I make changes to the curves. Depending on the histogram reading, I reduce the highlights and shadows.

8.) Lastly, I crop the shot before opening the image on Photoshop CS5 extended

9.) In the CS5 extended, I check the histogram to see if any further changes are to made to contrast, exposure and sharpness. For editing the sharpness, I use smart sharpen

10.) See if there are any dust spots to make the cleaning

11.) In the end, I reduce the noice.

Once these processes are complete, I resize the image to the desirable size acceptable on this site and save it Jpeg.

So these are the steps that I follow for my editing, explained to you in detail.

Kindly let me know if there are something missing in the process which are so essential for proper editing. It would be really helpful for me to improve in my editing. :)

Thanks and Regards,
Sreenivas.S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:21 am 

Paul,

The following image was recently rejected on the grounds that the horizon is not level:

LTN - Airbus A320-214 (easyJet) G-EZUX by jamfran, on Flickr

However, I was always taught to align the image with any obvious vertical reference points (in this instance, the lighting masts), rather than slavishly following the horizon. Help! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

aerosreenivas wrote:
Paul wrote:

Hi Sreenivas,

The exposure is actually absolutely fine, the overprocessing is the fact there are light and dark halos visible around the aircraft. What steps are you taking when you edit? It's probably something in your workflow making them appear so it should be fairly easy to avoid once identified. :)

Paul

Dear Paul Sir,

Sorry for the late response. Here are following steps that I use while editing my images on RAW plugin.

1.) Correcting the white balance for day shots (depending on the weather conditions) and most of the time for night shots

2.) Increasing the exposure

3.) Tweaking with the contrast and brightness

4.) Depending on images, I make recouvery adjustment in RAW plugin

5.) Then I increase the sharpness to standard 50

6.) I also make changes to the Luminace contrast, Luminace details

7.) After that I make changes to the curves. Depending on the histogram reading, I reduce the highlights and shadows.

8.) Lastly, I crop the shot before opening the image on Photoshop CS5 extended

9.) In the CS5 extended, I check the histogram to see if any further changes are to made to contrast, exposure and sharpness. For editing the sharpness, I use smart sharpen

10.) See if there are any dust spots to make the cleaning

11.) In the end, I reduce the noice.

Once these processes are complete, I resize the image to the desirable size acceptable on this site and save it Jpeg.

So these are the steps that I follow for my editing, explained to you in detail.

Kindly let me know if there are something missing in the process which are so essential for proper editing. It would be really helpful for me to improve in my editing. :)

Thanks and Regards,
Sreenivas.S

Hi again Sreenivas,

It sounds like you're making a huge number of unnecessary adjustments there to be honest! You're using exposure, contrast, brightness and Curves when all you should really need to tweak is exposure and blacks if the image is fairly well exposed to start with. Try really simplifying your workflow by using the minimum number of tools you can and doing as much as possible in RAW. To give a rough guide, my workflow is something like:

1. Crop in Adobe Camera RAW

2. Adjust Exposure (if needed)

3. Adjust Blacks (if needed)

4. Add Saturation (usually 40-60)

5. Open in Photoshop as an 8 bit JPEG

6. Resize to (usually) 1600 wide

7. Apply sharpening (if needed, usually no more than 60% at a radius of 0.3)

And that's it, the whole process takes around a minute and a half per image unless I have loads of dust spots to fix. A photo always has it's highest level of actual quality when it leaves the camera, you just tweak it in post-processing to make it look the way you want it but the way to preserve quality is by keeping editing to an absolute minimum. The less you edit, the more quality you preserve and the better your images will look. This obviously requires images to be well exposed and sharp when you take them, so if you're finding you have to adjust the exposure of images in post-processing by more than 1/2 a stop (0.5 on the scale) then it may also help spending a bit of time working on your shooting technique.

Hope that helps. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Baltimore wrote:
Paul,

The following image was recently rejected on the grounds that the horizon is not level:

However, I was always taught to align the image with any obvious vertical reference points (in this instance, the lighting masts), rather than slavishly following the horizon. Help! :)

Hi James,

Indeed it is the poles that are the best reference here but if you pull a grid up in your editing software or use another vertical reference (like the side of an MSN conversation window) you'll see those posts actually lean to the left. A quick bit of clockwise rotation will fix it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am 

Paul wrote:
Baltimore wrote:
Hi James,

Indeed it is the poles that are the best reference here but if you pull a grid up in your editing software or use another vertical reference (like the side of an MSN conversation window) you'll see those posts actually lean to the left. A quick bit of clockwise rotation will fix it. :)

Oops, am I bad! :) I will apply some additional CW rotation and re-submit.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 am 

Hello,

This was rejected for colour.
http://images.focusonflight.net/2013/19 ... 105053.jpg

I need to know how to go about correcting this considering DEL has very strong yellow lights & obtaining original colours form the RAW seems very tough.

Regards,
Pats

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Admin

patkini wrote:
I need to know how to go about correcting this considering DEL has very strong yellow lights & obtaining original colours form the RAW seems very tough.

It's actually a very, very easy fix, working from the edited JPEG it took me literally 3 seconds to correct so you'll be able to get much better results working form the RAW file. There's a fairly significant green cast but it's fixed by simply by shifting the 'Tint' slider in ACR to + 30. A similar approach will work in other software too.

The adjustment is shown by the red arrow here:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:56 pm 

Need help with this one, it was rejected but has no reasons.

http://focusonflight.net/account/rejected/34912

Cheers

Felipe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Felipe,

I'm only on my iPad at the moment but I can't see why that would be rejected so it's probably a mistake at our end, my apologies! If you could re-upload it I'll have a look when I'm back at the computer.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:43 am 

No prob! I'll re-upload tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15