It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rejectet Pictures (Soft) need help.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 pm 

If my Photos are rejected, the reason is very often that the pictures are to "soft". What have i done wrong. Has this to do with the editing in Lightroom (3). Can this be a setting taking the Picture with my Nikon D3100 ?

Thank you for your help and greetings

Sandro

Post subject: Re: Rejectet Pictures (Soft) need help.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 am 

Hi Sandro,

Do you shoot .JPEG or .NEF?

If you shoot .JPEG I would recommend that you turn all the in-camera sharpening settings to 0. You can do this in the Picture Control menu.
I don't really edit in LightRoom so I don't know the settings you can apply there but in Photoshop CS4 I open the .JPEG and do a pass of USM (Unsharp Mask) with 100% amount at 0.6 radius and treshold set to 0.

Then you process the picture accordingly ie. levelling, cropping, check levels and curves with the histogram and resize the picture for the web. After resizing do another pass of USM at 40-60% with a radius of 0.2 - 0.4 depending on when the jaggies appear.

A a final step you can also apply some Noise Reduction. But with .JPEGs this is often done by the camera. So judge your eyes on that one.

If you shoot .NEF the in-camera sharpening settings have no effect on the outcome so the soft rejections may have to do with your post-processing which should be about the same as the processing for the .JPEG but done in Abode Camera Raw (see above).

For more instructions see the tutorials Paul wrote which are available here on the forum.

If there is nothing wrong with your post processing the softness might be due to a shallow depth of field. What setting are you using for aperture? Usually shooting between f/8 and f/11 will create enough DOF for the whole a/c to be sharp.

If the softness is an effect of motion blur check your shutterspeed. The shutterspeed should be equal or higher then your focal length. On crop camera's you should multiply this with the crop factor. For my Nikon D5100 this is 1.5. So when using 300 mm focal length my shutterspeed should be at least 300*1.5 = 1/450.

Again I have no experience with editing in LR whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
Dutch Aviation Society - Scramble
------------------------------------
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!

Post subject: Re: Rejectet Pictures (Soft) need help.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:43 pm 

Hi Twan
Many thanks for your hints. I will try to follow your advices.

Best regards
Sandro