It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pre-Screening Thread - CREW Reply ONLY!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Twan,

I've done a quick edit and here's exactly what I did:

The first thing I always do in ACR is level and crop, that means I can see how the final image is going to look compositionally which I find makes it easier to work on. After levelling and cropping I adjusted the settings to this, the Temperature is a little on the red wise as a slightly warmer look seemed to work best. In the Sharpening tab I used 110% at 0.6 with Detail set to 25, just be aware that newer versions of ACR (like 6.0) need Detail pulling right down to around 2 to give the a similar effect, otherwise horrendous oversharpening occurs!

Then I opened as a JPEG in PS. It's actually a very clean image indeed so I didn't really use much noise reduction but what I did use can be seen here. Remember it's quite important to make sure the NR is applied to the same areas using the little yellow squares to the left if you want to replicate what I've done here.

I then resized to 1600 wide and did one more pass of Smart Sharpening. This was fairly sharp to start with so it only really needed 40 rather than 60.

And those steps gave this as the final image (I've added a watermark as well as I don't want to post someone else's work and risk it being stolen!)

I was thinking, did you maybe have some sharpening set in your noise reduction software? If so I'd probably recommend turning it off and sharpening entirely in ACR and PS, you'll have more control and be able to do it step by step which should allow you to see any slight issues as they actually happen.

Hope that helps. :)

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

Wow, that's great Paul. It looks a lot better then mine!

I will try to recreate your steps later today. Just a question upfront. Does Noise Ninja select the areas for the yellow triangles itself or do I have to tell it where to reduce noise?

Thanks a lot this really helps! I will get back to you with my re-edit!

Like the watermark btw always good to see ones name on something nice :lol:

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
Dutch Aviation Society - Scramble
------------------------------------
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Twan-v-B wrote:
Like the watermark btw always good to see ones name on something nice :lol:

:lol:

When you hit 'Profile Image' the program will make a rough guess where the NR should be working, and the little yellow squares show the main areas processing is taking place. That is, they show the general area not the specific area, so if you have a uniform blue sky and there's a yellow square in there then it will generally be processing the entire sky. As with any program though it doesn't always guess correctly so you usually have to take a few squares away and add them in other areas. You wouldn't generally want to apply noise reduction to grass in the foreground for example as it blurs to the point of looking horrible, so it's generally a good idea to cancel the squares on such areas and only put them where you really notice noise like the underside of the fuselage, under the wings, in the sky, etc. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 pm 

Hi Paul,

I followed your edit and mine came very close. And I have to admit it looks good!
Maybe I've been to careful with the saturation slider. It really makes a difference. So I will trust my eyes instead of the "rules".

Here she is:

Just a few questions.
-When I edit I always make sure the triangles in the upper left and right of the Luminosity histogram in ACR are not lighting up. I always thought this was known as "clipping". In you edit I see the triangle on the left light up purple. Is this still ok?

-What to aim for when correcting White Balance, the way the photo looks or the alignment of the luminosity peak?

Thanks for all your help. I know I have a lot of questions. But in my experience I learn a lot more from my questions then from a book.

Thanks again.

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again Twan,

The main thing before I continue is to remember there are no rules, only guides. :)

With regard to clipping, it's only clipped if the triangle is white. The histogram in ACR is a combined Luminosity and RGB histogram; it shows both, which is actually very handy indeed as long as you're reading the relevant bits. As mentioned in my tutorial we can clip any individual channel or even two channels without actually overexposing the image, because overexposure only occurs when we clip all three channels. In a perfect world with absolute perfect colour balance and absolutely perfect exposure perhaps nothing 'should' be clipped, but I think that's an overly-clinical view and if we aimed for that then we'd spend more time trying to get things technically correct than actually taking photos.

I think the best way of working is to understand the tools we have but use your own judgement on how to use them. There's never really any time when a plane in a clear blue sky with nothing else in the frame should be showing as overexposed in the histogram (so in ACR that would be the white graph merrily making its way up the right hand side), and there's also not really any reason why such a photo taken in the middle of the day shouldn't be colour-corrected using the RGB histogram as explained in the tutorial here in the forums, but a photo taken in morning or evening light may well need a red cast to work. In such cases you'd probably find the triangle on the right of the histogram is red because the red channel is clipped, but if the image looks good then this isn't a problem. It won't have any real technical negative effects when the image is viewed on a computer screen.

So basically, try not to treat anything you read as an absolute rule. I'd definitely recommend going into as much technical detail and learning as much of it as you can; it all helps in the long run, but ultimately if it looks good then it generally will be. When I edited this 777 image I intentionally kept the white balance technically a little off because the image looked somewhat flat with it absolutely 'correct'. At the end of the day how it looks is by far the most important thing, the tools are only there to help. Naturally there's a process of actually learning what does and doesn't look good but technical stuff can play its part in that. :)

Paul

P.S. That image looks great, if uploaded it would be a very easy accept. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:36 pm 

Thanks again for your advice Paul.

Maybe I'm overly-clinical on the rules because I'm new to this and don't really trust my own judgement on what is right or what looks right.
But your are right, it's about seeing planes take-off and come in on finals and just enjoying the whole world of aviation. At AMS this is surely possible.

So my, late, new years resolution is to just take photos and edit them the way I like them and bounce them of the forum to see if my edit works.

Thanks for all your help and I will upload the T7 for sure :D

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
www.scramble.nl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:59 pm 
Screener

Twan,

To help with your NoiseNinja use. Paul originally pointed me to this cracking piece of software. Used properly it gives stunning results but used badly it can destroy an image.
Here's the starting point numbers that Paul gave me...

Firstly though, turn off the Turbo feature.

Strength.......6
Smooth........2
Contrast.......10
USM.............0 Radius 0.4
Colours all set to 10.

Paul also told me to apply NoiseNinja right at the beginning to the unprocessed full sized image. (I'll say this next bit quietly...actually....I sometimes apply it towards the end, just before final sharpening and haven't seen a huge difference but don't tell him that !!) Shhhh...Mum's the word !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Twan, I also sometimes apply a second pass of noise reduction after resizing and before my final pass of sharpening but shhhhh... Don't tell Brian! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:12 pm 

Thanks to the both of you!

It seems the Emirates is the only one really worth editing from that day. Ah well, on to better and sunnier days! :D

Summer is just around the corner :P

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
www.scramble.nl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:05 am 

Guys I thought I'd take your opinions before I uploaded the following shot for screening.
VT-ESJ ready for Take off
Awaiting your comments.
Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next