It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best photo circumstances?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:48 pm 

Hello all,

Since the weather seems to be improving over the next few weeks I am rather exicted to dust off my camera and go spotting again. It has been a while..

In the past my problem was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I missed all the special visitors and ended up with a lot of poorly exposed shots. I have read all about movements at AMS so catching the rare visitors isn't going to be the problem.

I am afraid I will be in the wrong place and time for taking stunning photographs so I was wondering if you guys got some tips on getting in the right place at the right time.

Should I consider the position of the sun in relation to the runway?

Are there certain NO GO times for photographing?

Do you have any other tips?

Thanks for your replies!

Regards,

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
Dutch Aviation Society - Scramble
------------------------------------
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!

Post subject: Re: Best photo circumstances?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 am 

Well if you will be at AMS the only advice can give you is get a scanner or smartphone with internet. Otherwise it's almost impossible to get the rare visitors.
And try to have the sun behind you all the time (this can be a challenge at AMS ).

Wit the summer approaching it is always very nice to go to the airport late afternoon and evening. Beautiful light without to much heat distortion.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm 

Hi Dutch,

Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated!

I indeed have a smart phone with internet so I can check arrival and departure times etc. And I follow the topics on Scramble regarding AMS.

You are saying it is best to take photos in the late afternoon and in the evening with the sun in my back. Would that be from 4 pm and later? So the bicycle path alongside the Polderbaan would be okay? The sun is setting in the west so at 4pm the sun will be in my back.

Anybody else got some tips for me?

Thanks in advance,

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:05 pm 

The cycling path along the polderbaan is a great place in the evening. Especially when they use it as landing runway.

Luckely there are many spots at AMS to spend the whole day in good light conditions.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 pm 

Thanks again for your reply Dutch!

My current collection contains a great deal of side shots which are great for my database. But I am really getting the hang of the photography side of things. I would like to make some creative shots.

Can you maybe give me examples of spots that have great light until 4 pm? The only legal spots I know are the two official spots and the bicycle path. (I noticed they gave it a name: Polderbaanpad)

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
www.scramble.nl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm 

Well there are many spots to find at EHAM. At scramble you can find a few in the airfield guide.

The only thing that has major influence on these spots is the runway usage at AMS. With 6 runways at AMS it's sometimes hard to find the right spot at the right time.
You can see some of my shots here and have a look on which spot you don't know yet.
http://www.focusonflight.net/search?user_id=1204
Maybe I can give directions by that.

Rgds.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 pm 

Hi...

I went to AMS at the beginning of May and I can tell you that spotting there is like a Safari.
The biggest problem is to have always the sun behind you and to avoid heathaze who is very strong also with 15°C.

The many runways and the frequent procedure changing gives you a real challenge to catch the plane that you want in the way that you would like.
You absolutely need a car (always in quick start position), a scanner or a laptop with the radar and the exact time schedule of the planes you want to see !

One day we changed from the runway 06 to the runway 36R (and back) more than 10 times in the morning !!! LOL

In May we had more or less 5 hours of sun in 4 days, that's not pretty much, but we could catch some nice pictures anyway, with slow speed or sometimes with a bit higher ISO (160 or 200).
Aviation does not work only during the great sunny days, sometimes bad weather can give you some nice effects that you never see when the meteo is perfect !

Did you ever see à 747 or a 340 taking off from a very wet runway and with just some sunrays on it ?
You can't never see that if it does not rain for a while ;-) The very best shots I realized are those taken 10 minutes after a huge thunderstorm with the sun comming back... And I was wet as I had taken a bath, but the pictures are stunning... How can we take that kind of shots if we go to the runways only by great sunny days ? ;-)

The most important to know about AMS is that you can't just stay there and wait... It's a very ACTIVE SPOTTING and you must always be awake !!!! ;-)

Best regards,
Remo.

Remo.

------------------------------------------------
Remo Garone - GVA/LSGG Aviation photographers
------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 pm 

Remo wrote:
I went to AMS at the beginning of May and I can tell you that spotting there is like a Safari.

Words of wisdom :lol:
Oh the joy of AMS ... never boring though ;)

I usually spot with just my camera and a bicycle. So I'm not very fast in switching runways. I often curse at ATC :D

Another downside is the lack of a roof on my bike.. So unfortunately I'm a bit stuck with the great sunny days for the time being. I'm lucky my girlfriend is also into aviation and I can sometimes use her driving skills to get my places but a whole day at AMS is not her favourite pastime.

Regards,

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
www.scramble.nl