It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A FocusOnFlight Nerd Tweet
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Good Evening All!

As the Sites resident Geek I thought I'd mention a little nerdy news regarding the Site and all its data.

Before this time yesterday, the site was backed up nightly to secure all your uploads - just incase the unthinkable happens (our server, located in the good old U, S of A catches fire and burns down). These backups were sent directly to a small little server sat in a corner at my residence, however the server was almost as ancient as the Great Pyramids of Egypt (okay.. maybe not that old but still, old nonetheless). I was constantly paranoid of our little server failing and losing over 4000 backed up photos! :o

What was the solution you may be thinking to yourself? Well... (after much discussion with Mr Nichols)
I am pleased to announce that, having ordered the parts for a lovely new server, it arrived promptly and was constructed by yours truly (the geek). The server features a total of 5 Terra-bytes of storage in which the backups for the site are stored on a 3 Terra-byte RAID5 array. This then makes backups of all recent photos at 1am (GMT) every day.

What does all the technically jargon actually mean?
Well, all the data is stored on a conventional set of hard drives, however in your bog standard PC setup if your hard drive were to fail then, in most cases, you usually lose a significant amount of data. The system that backs up the site works in such a way that the data backed up is essentially stored on a number of hard drives and thus, if one fails, the data is still perfectly intact and backed up, I can then simply replace the hard drive that failed the backups will continue as per usual.

I apologise to all if I have caused a mild state of confusion but I felt a nerd post was needed for a such a momentous occasion :D

Happy Uploading!

Jordan :ugeek:

Post subject: Re: A FocusOnFlight Nerd Tweet
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Haha! Jordan you nerd! :lol: