It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The New Accounts System Is Now Live!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

Just a little site news. We recently hit our first milestone of having 10,000 images in the database so a huge and sincere thank you to all who've supported the site and been kind enough to contribute. We're very thankful for the support the site had, so again, thank you!

To coincide with this milestone (well, coincide-ish!) we've put the site's first upgrade online in the shape of a new Accounts system, and hopefully this new system will make it a little easier to move around your accepted and rejected photos as well as other bits of the site like photo management, comments, editing your equipment, etc. When you click 'Account' you're taken to an overview page listing options for navigation, links to your most recent incoming private messages and a photo feed that updates live as soon as images are accepted onto the site (with clickable thumbnails if you want a closer look at something that catches your eye). And from here it's easy to click through your recdently accepted and rejected images without having to go to an entirely different page.

Other updates with this new system are the ability to see full size versions of both accepted and rejected images along with airport and aircraft info, the full size rejected images also display the rejection reasons above the image. We've also had a problem with images being sent to the Admin queue seeming to disappear to the uploader, they'll now continue to appear as 'in queue' until they're processed.

We've tried to make this new system as possible to use but as always there may be things we've missed, so please feel free to have a click around and let us know your thoughts.

Cheers :)

Paul & Jordan

P.S. Jordan sends his apologies for not being here to write this message himself, but after a serious evening of code-bashing Yorkshire's premier nerd has had to retire to his pit for some much needed sleep. I suspect he'll be asleep already, dreaming about deployment systems and speedy internet connections... :lol:

Post subject: Re: The New Accounts System Is Now Live!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 am 

Hey Paul

Selecting the year 2012 is now no longer an option when uploading an image!

Also, has the "show queued photos" really just disappeared?

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Admin

Ah... Year fail... Didn't expect that! I've just messaged Jordan about it!

As for queued images, nope, it hasn't disappeared at all. That option is showing nice and clearly here. Can you screenshot what you're seeing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:37 am 

Hi Paul & Jordan,

The new account system looks great!
Really easy to use! Great work!

Just one remark: When I click on Manage Photos I have to put in a Photo ID. Wouldn't it be easier to attach thumbnails which we can click on in stead of searching for the Photo ID and putting it in? Don't know if that is at all possible but it would be easier/nice. I'm lazy :P (Might become a problem when you have hundreds of photos in the database....)

But I like it very much as it is!

One more thing. In my browser (Firefox) I have my bookmarks in the bookmark bar showing only the logos and I noticed that FOF doesn't have one. This might also be a nice addition...

Hope I am not too nosy or too critical. I just love the site! Want to help make it better :)

Again.. great work :D

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
Dutch Aviation Society - Scramble
------------------------------------
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 am 

Paul wrote:
Ah... Year fail... Didn't expect that! I've just messaged Jordan about it!

As for queued images, nope, it hasn't disappeared at all. That option is showing nice and clearly here. Can you screenshot what you're seeing?

Oh, I actually have to CLICK on the account button? In that case everything is fine. Oops :)

(I was just looking at its mouseover dropdown menu)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Yep, you have to click on a button. Sadly technology isn't good enough to read your mind yet! ;) :lol:

The general idea is that you can move around your queued/accepted/rejected images quickly without having to open various different pages, which is why all lists are accessible from one place. :)

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 am 

Paul wrote:
Yep, you have to click on a button. Sadly technology isn't good enough to read your mind yet! ;) :lol:

The general idea is that you can move around your queued/accepted/rejected images quickly without having to open various different pages, which is why all lists are accessible from one place. :)

Paul

I love the new design, I just have problems using my brain having just rolled out of bed after 5h sleep :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Admin

5 hours sleep? You should be rearing to go! Says me, drinking a pint Americano with 4 shots of espresso in it... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Admin

It seems things have gone even more strange than we first thought! We know this isn't ideal but could I please ask that for the moment uploads are kept on hold until we can fix the issues we're having. We never expected anything else on the site to be affected by these updates but they seem to have done some very odd things to various systems elsewhere and we need to figure out why, so please still feel free to browse the site but if you could hold off from uploading for the moment it would be greatly appreciated. I'll post again once we're a bit closer to finding out what's happened.

Many thanks for your patience and understanding.

Paul & Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

After a session of Jordan kicking code's arse the upload page is now back online again, our apologies for the problem and thanks for your patience!

Hopefully things should work now, please let us know if you find anything else awry.

Paul (& Jordan The CodeArsekicker)