It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: We Seek Your Opinion!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

'Evening all,

We'd just like to get your opinions on an idea we're toying with for the site redesign. We're currently working on the photo viewing page/system and we're very pleased with how it's looking so far! One thing that's jumped out to us as not quite fitting in with the design is the black copyright bar along the bottom of the image, obviously this plays a large part in protecting the image against copyright theft so it has to be there but we also some people may prefer their images to look a little cleaner, so we're trying to think of something that will work for both.

The idea we have is to make the copyright bar optional. Essentially when you upload an image you'll have the option to do so without the site applying that bar. We can have options so the default is either on or off (via Preferences in the Accounts system), so essentially you could use both the copyright bar and the watermark as you wish. Some people prefer not to watermark their images at all so from that it seems logical to give the option not to have the copyright bar either. This new system would mean, for example, you could opt not to have the copyright bar but still protect your image using a watermark, so you're in total control of how you show and protect your work. After all, you own the images you choose to share with us so it should be up to you how you choose to display them, not us.

With the new design part of our plan is to try make the site more user-orientated, and this is one feature that will hopefully allow the site to be used in a more 'gallery-like' way. If you have any thoughts on this then please feel free to share them with us, we're very keen to hear what you think!

Cheers,

Paul & Jordan

Post subject: Re: We Seek Your Opinion!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:10 pm 

Hey Paul,

Such a feature would not bother me in any way, but I would not use it.

The highest feature on my wishlist right now, is the ability to use regular expressions in the search. It obviously doesn't need to be perl REGEXP (although that would be awesome :lol:), but sometimes I really want to search for the registrations HB-*!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ben,

The search engine will be getting a facelift with the new design, we're just working on things a bit at a time and this is what we're on with at the moment. There are new bits we want in the search too! :)

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 am 

I would rather have more watermarks then less , i have had photos of mine used with out my permission , keep up the good work

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for your opinion, Mark. Naturally these options will be user-selectable so you have the option to use them or not. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

Hi Paul & Jordan,

I am all for watermarks too. But I think it should indeed be optional. The photographer should be the one who decides if the photo is worth protecting, which in my case is always. But still you should have a choice.

In my opinion if you make things mandatory you will lose users/photographers. People love freedom. Although in this case the black copyright bar is accepted by almost everyone, so I don't think my argument stands in this matter.

Regards,

Twan

Twan van Baaren
Editor Manufacturer News
Dutch Aviation Society - Scramble
------------------------------------
www.scramble.nl

Download the latest issue of Scramble Magazine from both the Apple Store or Google Play Store!!