It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Manchester-Tenerife-Manchester
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm 

The Trip Report section seemed a bit slim so i thought i'd provide two of mine to help it.

Route: MAN-TFS
Airline: Thomas Cook
Aircraft: Airbus A321
Reg: G-DHJH
Code: TCX173K
Seat: 34F
Date: 17/02/11
Rating: 6/10

Well the trip started badly when upon checking the Manchester Airport website I discovered that my flight would be delayed by some 3 hours, from an ETD of 16:20 to 19:40. When checking in it started to improve with no queue and a helpful member on staff who gave us each a voucher for £4 off any food outlet air side.

Once air side, the highlight was an unexpected run in with then Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given, who I believe was heading to the USA to receive treatment on a shoulder injury, who kindly posed for a photo. After a lengthy stay in Starbucks, exploiting their free Wi-Fi, we put the meal vouchers to good use before we were designated our gate. The weather was miserable and there was little point in taking photos through the glass thanks to years of children's finger smudges down the glass. We were called to gate 28 and just after 7, we boarded G-DHJH. The captain informed us that the delay was due to a technical fault on our A/C which had subsequently been fixed and given the all clear by engineers, always reassuring. We taxied out and departed from 23R via A1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissspics/5486339982/

The route took us south over Cardiff and Bristol and then somewhere else, I think Santiago and Lisbon, before the last leg to TFS. Onboard the staff were very polite and helpful with all enquiries and due to the lengthy delays, everybody was offered a complimentary drink. As for food, I can't give a first hand report, however the passenger next to me assured me it was delicious. It certainly smelled it

During the flight there were a few pockets of turbulence to overcome but the pilot was quick to allow movement once we cleared these and a helpful announcement telling us that other pilots above and below reported it was no better on other flight levels. The landing was a bit bouncy but not the worst i have experienced. All in all an enjoyable trip but not the best due to the fact there was no entertainment system on a 4 hour flight. Not even a map showing where we were. Other than that no real complaints.

Route: TFS-MAN
Airline: Thomas Cook
Aircraft: A320
Reg: G-CRPH
Code: TCX173L
Seat: 30C
Rating: 7/10

Well it was another disappointing start with the airline who sell "the perfect holiday". There was again a delay however it was significantly less, being just over an hour and we were given a more substantial explanation for the delay. For those who wish to know, apparently a TCX A/C had gone tech in the UAE and our A/C had been taken so this was the fastest cover aircraft available.

Long queues at check in and security left precious little time for any photography with the sun already set by the time we got air side and shooting through glass is always tricky so it did not come off very well. And the darkness soon arrived which was disappointing given the range of interesting A/C that taxi directly in front of you. A small list includes "2 TUi Fly 737-8 including the haribo special scheme, 2 Air Mediterranean A321s, 2 Aer Lingus A320, 2 Martinair Cargo MD-11s, Jetairfly, Spanair, Binter and a multitude of Ryanairs. We were then instructed to gate 5 to board our A320 home.

We were sat in row 30, the very back of an A320 and subsequently there was little delay between our being seated and the plane leaving. Being sat at the back lead to some interesting conversations between stewards and stewardesses being overheard. It seemed one of them had never heard of the miracle of pirate bay... Anyway we departed on 08 and the flight path took us back over the north of Tenerife and Madeira before passing over the Republic of Ireland before turning to Manchester.

The flight in general was pleasant and once again, the staff were unnaturally cheerful for 22:00 on a saturday, but were extremely helpful. The engine noise on this plane was much quieter than my last flight on a similar sized Airbus, A Germanwings A319, however this may be due to the seat position.

We landed on 05L/23R at around 02:05. there was much less turbulence on the return flight which many passengers were grateful for as it seemed like an ideal time to grab some sleep. However I would advise against making a 4 hour trip on an A320 as after 2-3 hours the seats became uncomfortable and the leg-room was disappointing. However it could have been much worse and as ever, all you pray for when flying is a safe landing.

Thanks for reading :)